A thesis statement is a single sentence that states the topic and your point of view. It is the answer to the question you are asking. Its purpose is to guide you and keep you focused on a productive path. You can revise the thesis statement as you need to through the course of the writing.
Examples of Thesis Statements:
- The Board of Education has the right to impose a dress code on public school children.
- Malls and theme parks have the right to impose curfews on young people under 18.
- The US was justified in using nuclear weapons against Japan.
- There are several reasons why Christopher Columbus was considered a hero to Americans.
- The US government was not justified in relegating Native Americans to reservations.
- The United States should continue to fund the space program.
- The school year in New Jersey should be extended to 212 days in order to meet the new state graduation requirements in reading, writing, mathematics, social studies, and foreign languages. thesis statement or statement of controlling purpose.